Fried Dal Curry
Fried dal curry tastes best with white rice and chapathi.
Cooking time: 30 mins
Serves: 4 to 5 people
- Tur dal (Red gram) – 100 grams
- Dry red chilies – 10 (big size)
- Tamarind – Lemon sized ball
- 1 big onion
- 1 big tomato
- Mustered seeds – 1/2 tea spoon
- Coriander seeds – 1 tea spoon
- Fenugreek seeds – 1/2 tea spoon
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tea spoon
- Oil – 2 table spoons
- Curry leaves and coriander
- Pinch of turmeric powder and salt as per taste
Wash and soak tamarind.
Heat the pan and add 2 tables spoons of oil, now fry dal in oil for 5mins in low flame. Once tur dal is fried add mustered seeds, coriander seeds, fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds and curry leaves one by one and fry them.
Once all above ingredients are fried add dry red chilies and fry for 2 mins after that add onions and fry. Once onions are fried add tomato and cook for 2 more minutes.
Now add 400ml of water to above ingredients and boil for a minute and transfer all contents to pressure cooker. Add a pinch of turmeric powder and cook upto 4 whistles and turn off the stove.
Once all the steam is absorbed, open the lid of cooker and add tamarind paste and salt. Cook for 5 mins with open lid. Now blend all the ingredients like a paste. Garnish with coriander leaves.